HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Roll System? Opinions, if you will.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Roll System, Y/N?
I don't think this is a good idea (Before Reading).
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
I think this is a good idea (Before Reading).
14%
 14% [ 5 ]
I don't think this is a good idea (After Reading).
53%
 53% [ 19 ]
I think this is a good idea (After Reading).
30%
 30% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 36
 

AuthorMessage
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Alright, well. I've seen some things happening on the server, that . . . Well. It's pissed me off.
So, here I am. Offering a roll system. Why a roll system? Well. Let's list the reasons . . .
1: I instantly defeats god-modders by forcing them to accept fate.
2: It allows people to resist some otherwise "1-hit-kill" spells, and just spells in general.
3: It forces everyone to accept what fate deals them, and roll with it. Thus forcing them to accept losses of characters, and battles sometimes instead of being a mary-sue who never loses.
4: It prevents a lot of OOC arguments about fights, by simply resolving them easily with a roll.
5: It makes things runs smoothly and allows us to enjoy our RP instead of constantly fighting amongst one another.
6: It would probably make the GM's jobs a bit easier, since they don't have to listen to people QQ constantly with this system.

Now, here is the system I'm talking about . . . .

Rolls system:
Note: In using this system, whenever you enter combat. You are AGREEING to death. No if's, ands, or buts, you agree to death. Now. Here is how you know when you're dead.

HP-equivilence.
Normal chars've got 30-hits total. This number can go up or down depending on the character type. For example, a kobold will probably have around 10 hits. And a dragon may have 60, or something around that. It can vary. Minor hits, 1-10 above your roll, count for 1 hit. Moderate hits, 11-45 above your roll, count for 3 hits, and Critical hits, 46+ above your roll, is 15 hits. When you reach 0 - -10 hits, you're unconcious / dying, and have lost the battle. And you're pretty much at the other person's mercy.

Equal rolls (I.E. 34/34): This denounces an action in which neither player is successful, nor is a failure. I.E. Swinging a sword at someone and getting this result would initiate a parry (Two weapons locking against one another), and force the players to go on to the next action to resolve this.
Success rolls:
1-10 above the other person's roll: Mild success, a glancing blow, a slight effectiveness with a spell. Nothing like "Omgwtfpwnt" but not exactly a "Psh, did you just hit me?" blow either.
11-45 above the other's roll: Moderate success, a good blow landed, or a nice blast with a spell. A hit that might cause them to stagger for a moment, or cause them to yelp or howl slightly in pain.
46+ above the other's roll: If you manage to beat them by this margain, grats. You just got full-rights to wtfpwn them with the result of an emote. This is like, you blast them with magic, and they go flying thirty feet and through a tree. Or, you just cut off someone's arm, or shattered a bone with your hammer. If you get this, they are screwed.

Failure rolls:
1-10 below the other's roll: Meh, you sorta failed against them. Not that bad, minorly wounded.
11-45 below the other's roll: They have just landed a nice blow on you, and you're probably going to be off-balance for a moment, at least.
If it was a spell, you're effected by it normally, not "Omg, I just got turned to dust! Wtf?!" but, "Owwy! Owwwy! FIRE = HOT!"
46+ below the other's roll: This, is what we call, an EPIC FAIL! If you fail like this, you've been wtfpwnt. This, is like, you go to shoot a bow. And shoot yourself. Or you cut yourself with your own sword when trying to swing it. If you get this bad of a roll, well, the only response is to lol heartily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ataman
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 536
Join date : 2009-03-09
Location : Under your bed... waiting to stab you.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 pm

almerosk wrote:

2: It allows people to resist some otherwise "1-hit-kill" spells, and just spells in general.
*Throwed ass huge meteorite on Bob*
/roll -> Bill roll is 100
*Bob got one shooted*

Plus. I would NEVER follow or do roll fights ever again. Since farmer can kill a well geared warrior by just doing few /rolls

_________________


. . . since you shouldn't tarry,
And in this town there's no apothecary,
I will myself go find some herbs for you
That will be good for health and pecker too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Yeah, they could. Any farmer can get lucky and stick a weak point in a knight's armor, Ataman, or stab them in the eyes through the viser. Or, a Kobold can get lucky and stab a dragon in the eye. Roll systems are not all that bad, and if anything they force us to act more realistically. Which most people, I realize, don't like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Onime

avatar

Posts : 37
Join date : 2009-03-16
Age : 24
Location : Socal

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I'd enjoy the roll system. It shouldn't be mandatory, but it should be one of the options if a battle rp estates itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brek

avatar

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:32 pm

I think this is a great idea, having engaged in something similiar to this myself on a variety of occasions. I don't think it should be mandatory, but I think anyone worth their salt should at least give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlatantDisobedience

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2009-03-15
Age : 24
Location : Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:38 pm

I'll give my opinion since the server just went down and I have nothing to do.

I think this system shouldn't be implemented because of how much bitching it'll cause. Sure, you can say people won't be confused if its explained, but not everyone can explain it.

I'd hate it, because not only does it take the fun out of fighting for me, it also takes out the ability to increase your intelligence, because you have to find loopholes in one's post in order to beat them. This allows one to expand their strategic mind. This is why I think this idea is bad. It'd take that fun and element of learning out of roleplay fighting.

Sure theres bitching when it comes to normal RP fighting. But there'll always be bitching and QQing about SOMETHING.

People are never truly happy with what they have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reaver

avatar

Posts : 75
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 25
Location : Sussex County New Jersey, packin' a dip.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Lol, good one. HELL NO. Rolling takes the skill and actual thinking process out of Rp fighting, which seperates the men from the boys, in that matter. Not even mentioning the fact that it literally -kills- my RP? < Reaver fires rifle pointblank, rolls a 12, misses? >

Yeah, no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Reaver wrote:
Lol, good one. HELL NO. Rolling takes the skill and actual thinking process out of Rp fighting, which seperates the men from the boys, in that matter. Not even mentioning the fact that it literally -kills- my RP? < Reaver fires rifle pointblank, rolls a 12, misses? >

Yeah, no.

Or, how about, <Reaver fires a rifle pointblank, rolls a 12, the barrel jams.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reaver

avatar

Posts : 75
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 25
Location : Sussex County New Jersey, packin' a dip.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 pm

That is not my opinion, hence, I ain't gettin' into no arguements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I was simply offering an alternative to the narrowminded explanation of a roll result which probably took roughly 2 seconds to come up with, versus a thought-out explanation which might; god forbid, force you to actually think and be creative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reaver

avatar

Posts : 75
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 25
Location : Sussex County New Jersey, packin' a dip.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Reaver wrote:
That is not my opinion, hence, I ain't gettin' into no arguements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Since when was a reasoned discussion an argument, my friend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reaver

avatar

Posts : 75
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 25
Location : Sussex County New Jersey, packin' a dip.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Alright, im laughing now in -real- life. Everything you just posted to me directly was an invitation to try and prove me wrong, so, please, for the sake of my breath. Save it.

I wasn't born yesterday.. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vendryas
Admin
avatar

Posts : 85
Join date : 2009-03-09
Age : 24
Location : The world of Azeroth.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 9:05 pm

I think the reason some of the people are voting against it without speaking up is because of the fact that they're afraid of losing the characters that they have to rolls, instead of RP that they can simply 'dodge' and get away with only some QQing.

I personally vote for this, but then again I'm not sure -- like most, I'm afraid of losing my hard-worked-on characters to simple rolls. So I'm not going to vote.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rebelwow.forumotion.net
Gnomeys
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 130
Join date : 2009-03-16
Age : 27
Location : Inside a whispering eye

PostSubject: Dodod   Sat May 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Personally, I like it and I don't like it. I mean if someone offered and wanted to use the roll system I'd use it. I mean guys you can use it and asked not to be killed if they're reasonable, they may say yes to not killing you and no to killing you. It's just a game guys, there is always ways to make a new person. Just play and go on. Why do you think I am always careful on when I fight, I don't go randomly attacking people, you will get killed, lol.

_________________

Thanks Dark :]

Life is like a shooting star. As you look to the sky and watch the star light the sky with it's brilliance; you think of how your life was. Gone in the blink of an eye, just like that star. Live your life as great as possible. - Tyler Inhofe
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/tigger50602
Zamoonda

avatar

Posts : 542
Join date : 2009-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Israel

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sat May 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Vendryas wrote:
I think the reason some of the people are voting against it without speaking up is because of the fact that they're afraid of losing the characters that they have to rolls, instead of RP that they can simply 'dodge' and get away with only some QQing.

I personally vote for this, but then again I'm not sure -- like most, I'm afraid of losing my hard-worked-on characters to simple rolls. So I'm not going to vote.

Vendryas, Farmer Bob Mcgee can kill U'cun. How about that?


In my part, I Agree to this IF this was only to equal characters, such as Warrior VS Warrior, and even that isn't quite sure, due to one being a Veteran of the Third War, the other being Farmer Joe the recently-became Warrior. -No- class is equal. A Warlock can wtfpwn any warrior in a mere second, with a simple spell that blood would leak from his eyes, destroying them instantly, then blood will fall fromh is nose, ears, eyes and mouth, which would paralyze him from pain and in a few mometns he'd be dead. See?

And, I don't plan for a simple Warrior to wtfpwn slice my arm off, then jump fifty meters from the ground and cut off my head with a finger. Nuh-uh. Not on yer life.

Last time I did a Roll System, I was mind-controlled by a warrior who just learned warlock energies and an undead Warlock. I payed for that being a slave of the Anti-Silvermooners for a while. -QUITE- a while!

Plus, some people are stronger and some are weaker, you can't judge from class. For example, you can say that here Belintar is a Black Dragon but the largest black apart from Deathwing, so that'll increase his roll value by an unkown quantity. I can say I increase my attack value as well as my health for being twice as powerful as any Wyrm (Blame Vendryas for his Blessings) That will already make me OP, despite I dislike the idea of being OP, and I am forced to being it. Anyway, I disapprove this idea in pretty much any form. It'd be nice in places like CotH..But here? Nay.


AND as many other people said, this takes out the roleplaying fun experience, when I can simply die when I want to, Or be my best and do everything I can, but my problem is that I get defeated too easily, I run out of mana way too quickly, while a normal Archmage should run out of mana HOURS later (Citation: Tides of Darkness & War of the Ancients). I'm twice as powerful, and I want to learn to harness it to my benefit, while not godmoding. For example, instead of wtfpwning the Orc Berseker that charged me in a milisecond, I simply fade away (Blinking), and appearing behind him, saying "Miss me." "Oh, Miss me again!" As I continue to do that until he gives up instead of killing his character Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tycha

avatar

Posts : 80
Join date : 2009-04-27
Age : 28
Location : Cambridge

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 3:38 am

^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ataman
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 536
Join date : 2009-03-09
Location : Under your bed... waiting to stab you.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 4:37 am

People will start to bitch about it since they easily can lose. It will bring more QQing then just a emote fight. Thats how server where I was RPing for a first time went down cuz people started to bitch at eachother and leave server since most of them were losing.

_________________


. . . since you shouldn't tarry,
And in this town there's no apothecary,
I will myself go find some herbs for you
That will be good for health and pecker too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
almerosk
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 55
Join date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 7:00 am

Ataman wrote:
People will start to bitch about it since they easily can lose. It will bring more QQing then just a emote fight. Thats how server where I was RPing for a first time went down cuz people started to bitch at eachother and leave server since most of them were losing.

1: I don't believe it's possible for there to be more QQing than there already is. I'm not being sarcastic or joking about this, I quite honestly don't think it's possible.
2: Guys . . . Use logic, seriously. Just . . . THINK. I mean, gah. Nevermind . . . I give up, you win. Have your e-peen stroking fests for every gods damned fight. Have your hour-long arguments about a single spell. Have your paranoia and deception, I don't care anymore. I've tried from day 1 to bring this server up, but I've failed. And it's starting to go down the same path that Azshara did. I tried to help you, you guys've refused that help every step of the way- Wallow in your self-dug graves now, for all I care.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlatantDisobedience

avatar

Posts : 337
Join date : 2009-03-15
Age : 24
Location : Missouri

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 7:48 am

Azshara WoW didn't use a roll system.

Yet it did fine.

Go wallow in your own pathetic grave. We are using logic because people would bitch MORE about the rolling system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ataman
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 536
Join date : 2009-03-09
Location : Under your bed... waiting to stab you.

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 am

BlatantDisobedience wrote:
Azshara WoW didn't use a roll system.

Yet it did fine.

Go wallow in your own pathetic grave. We are using logic because people would bitch MORE about the rolling system.
You're right, bro.

_________________


. . . since you shouldn't tarry,
And in this town there's no apothecary,
I will myself go find some herbs for you
That will be good for health and pecker too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
levi59

avatar

Posts : 15
Join date : 2009-04-28
Location : A Cave :3

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm kinda in the middle.. sometimes roll fights are better but in my opinion they shouldn't be needed. If people know their limits and don't set them superbly high everything should run smoothly.

I remember someone complaining about people who dodge attacks and shit when they're ambushed from behind so everybody stopped doing it(or atleast it happened A LOT less.) With this system that's possible.

Levi leaps out from under a cover with a dagger at Almerosk trying to plant it in somewhere in the center of his brain.

Levi rolls 1.

Almerosk rolls 93.

Levi misses and stabs himself in the foot. Almerosk turns around and face stomps Levi.

>_>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ming

avatar

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm half for it... But the problem is that it ~Dose~ take away the thinking prosses of it all... And like (Sorry I don't remember your name who-ever-you-are) said,
Bob throws rock
/roll 100
Bill = one shoted

And another note that is my personal opinion... If you have to argue with someone over a Rp fight... You're best bet is probably not to Rp with them, you can't just pop a roll system down and everything be hunky-dorie. There's going to be people that will wine that it isen't fair that a shirtless "Chuck Norris" Char got lucky with 100s, or the people that have a mod to always have a 100 roller.

Quote :
I don't believe it's possible for there to be more QQing than there already is. I'm not being sarcastic or joking about this, I quite honestly don't think it's possible.
And... I agree with this and haven't even been on the server... You people need an entire forum to keep this up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zamoonda

avatar

Posts : 542
Join date : 2009-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Israel

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 am

almerosk wrote:
I've tried from day 1 to bring this server up, but I've failed.

You weren't here from 'day 1' Look at the 'joined date' that Vendryas had, and even that may nto be 'day 1'. The only person here that isn't Vendryas, Chronolord, etc, people whow here here always, where here from 'day 1'. I'd say the only person that is close to that is Ataman, I beleive I came after that, then Whinniesper, then BlatantDisobedience, then Celys, but left, and then I'm unsure. Check the Members list.

Quote :
And it's starting to go down the same path that Azshara did.

You're definately mad if you think Azshara crumbled because of that. Azshara died because Xach couldn't put attention to Azshara due to studies and so on.

Quote :
I tried to help you, you guys've refused that help every step of the way

So have I, and so have many others. But, we aren't refusing. You're just giving us PvE RP. It's like RPing in retail. You say that the ten of us are goign to Molten Core, but obviously ten people CANT kill that Mountain Giant. You're making us have 'luck' to even kill a Frog. Wait, no,t hat's a terrible example. You're making us UNFAIRly lose! With some luck, I can kill U'cun? He'd kill me with a spell, there's NO DAMNED WAY I could even touch him before I'm being incarnated to ash. Same for Tarinath, same for Tzai, same for anyone here on this server that isn't an Aspect. Which, none are. Or anywhere near the power of one.

Quote :

- Wallow in your self-dug graves now, for all I care.
[/quote]

Sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Glanthic

avatar

Posts : 28
Join date : 2009-04-24
Location : Good Ol' US of A

PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   Mon May 25, 2009 1:24 am

BlatantDisobedience wrote:
Yet it did fine.

Why aren't you playing on Azshara then? Oh wait... Ha! Ha! I almost forgot. It didn't do fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Roll System? Opinions, if you will.   

Back to top Go down
 
Roll System? Opinions, if you will.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Pre-WotLK System Requirements
» Tau Smart Missile System
» SYSTEM-OF-A-DOWN app
» TCI Official Forum Ranking System
» WHAT SYSTEM ARE YOU GETTING BF3 FOR?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rebel WoW :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: